Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Brief History 

Now everyone knows that Disneyland came from the brilliant mind of this man 



When he was sitting on this bench


While at the park with his daughters one day.


When he brought up the idea of building an amusement park to his wife she replied "Why would you want to do that? Amusement parks are always so dirty" To this Walt replied simply "Exactly... Mine wouldn't be" He wanted a CLEAN park where people young and old could escape reality into a wonderland of fantastical proportions. On July 17, 1955, Disneyland opened its doors. 




Now when the park was first opened Walt had contracted with many different companies in order to run the rides, the parking, the food, and the cleaning of the park. Though the other parts of the park operations ran smoothly without many too much hassle,what he quickly began to notice is the janitorial service would come in before the park was open and clean it to its utmost pristine condition. However by about three or four in the afternoon, the park was very dirty and this was exactly the thing Walt did not want in his park. So, he took matters into his own hands. He first laid off the contracted janitors and then hired and trained his own custodial staff. Too this day, the custodial service at Disneyland is the only aspect of the park operation that was originally started by the big man himself. 


I am proud to call myself a Disneyland custodian regardless of any kind of teasing I may get from the outside. It gives me a great sense of pride knowing I am carrying out a big part of Walt Disney's dream fifty plus years later. Yes it is messy and tiring but something about coming back to my dorm room absolutely exhausted and sore feet, knowing that I made someones day just THAT much better makes it all worth while. I work tomorrow and cannot wait to share with you the magic I witness.


Until next time.... I am looking for a sign-off... any ideas? Comment and let me know :)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are committed to your job. :) Also, that is something that I always notice about Disneyland and love. :)

    ReplyDelete