Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Short One

A short little moment I experienced last night at work.

While sweeping by the castle on Main Street last night about an hour after fireworks had finished I heard a young mother (mid 20's) tell her son that it was time to go say good night to Mickey Mouse. I then watched them make their way over to the Partners Statue where the little boy waved to Mickey and told him good night and to not let the bed bugs bite. I went over to ask how long that had been doing this and the mother went on to tell me how her and her parents before they passed away used to say good night to Mickey Mouse before the left the park when she was younger and it was a tradition she wanted to keep alive with her son. 


I thought it was so precocious. It was not a magical moment that I made but one I got to experience. The continuing of a tradition, the keeping of a memory of the woman's parents. It was really touching and made me think of how when my dad took my brother and I up to our cabin in the mountains we always say good bye to the trees before we would start on our drive back down to the desert. Little things like that can go along way. They stay in your memory and give you something fun to remember for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment